Apply For $10000 AIMS-NEI Big Data Development Innovation Challenge 2019
The African Institute for Mathematical Sciences – Next Einstein Initiative (AIMS-NEI),in partnership with the International Development Research Centre (IDRC), is launching the Big Data for Development (BD4D) Innovation Challenge.
The BD4D Innovation Challenge aims to support emerging young African data scientists to develop innovative solutions that leverage new and non-traditional sources of data to address development challenges.
Aims-Nei Big Data Development Innovation Challenge Requirements:
The BD4D Innovation Challenge is open to Applicants from member countries of the African Union. Applicants may be individuals or teams of individuals. Teams are encouraged to combine skills in data science and data engineering. Applicants are responsible for compliance with the legal requirements of their country.
- I am sure You are transform by the information you get through me, I am also sure you can be part of our daily updates. Why not leave your email behind let me keep you informed with Inspirations, Health Columns and News always.
Applicants must submit a solution to one of the 3 challenges:
- Seed funding grants of up to USD 10,000
- Mentorship support
- Public recognition and opportunity to network
Aims-Nei Big Data Development Innovation Challenge Awards:
Selected candidates will pitch at the Final Challenge and compete for seed funding awards and mentorship support.
Challenge Winners will be selected and awarded for the following categories:
- Best BD4D-IC solution: Up to $10,000.
- Most Innovative BD4D-IC solution: Up to $10,000.
AIMS-NEI will extend an invitation to the winning solutions to explore ways to collaborate in validating, implementing or scaling the project’s reach. All winning projects will be recognized through public communications from the AIMS-NEI, IDRC and the World Bank Group and may be mentioned as part of a high-profile international event where the BD4D network will participate.
The prizes will be awarded in disbursements, based on a deliverables plan which will be agreed with each team.
SOLUTIONS: These are innovative big data-driven solutions that address one of the challenge statements presented in the BD4D Innovation Challenge. The submitting solutions should have been tested or validated at a basic level and demonstrate this through the submission form.
PROTOTYPES: These are innovative functional prototypes that are yet to be validated, and that address one of the challenge statements. Prototypes will be expected to justify the value of their concept through written documentation, supporting data, screenshots, videos or other relevant media files.
- Each Solution or Prototype must leverage or create some type of Big datasets. Combinations of traditional and new or unconventional data sources will be acceptable.
- Submissions may be any kind of a research proposal, insight or data-driven solution, be it for the web, a personal computer, a mobile handheld device, console, SMS, or any software platform broadly available to the public. APIs and algorithms will also be accepted.
- Submissions may incorporate open source or any new technology.
Application Deadline: 21 August 2019