Pro-Biafra In Failed Bid To Seize Enugu Government House

IPOB: Ohanaeze And Is Collaborators Be Prepared To Kill Us

Pro-Biafra In Failed Bid To Seize Enugu Government House

Pro-Biafra In Failed Bid To Seize Enugu Government House

Members of the Biafra Zionists Federation (BZF) made a failed attempt at forcibly taking over the Enugu State government house yesterday.

The secessionist group had planned to use the premises to proclaim an independent state of Biafra. The action came in defiance of a sit-at- home order by the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB). IPOB, in commemoration of slain Biafra supporters, had directed all residents of the southeast to stay indoors.

  • I am sure You are transform by the information you  get through me, I am also sure you can be part of our daily updates. why not leave your email behind let me keep you informed with information, jobs and inspire  you always.

The police, however, admitted only 21 persons were detained, saying a manhunt was ongoing to find other accomplices in the “treasonable” offence. Military fighter jets repeatedly flew past the southeast axis in what might have been a show of force, to prevent a breakdown of law and order.

Read More: IPOB: Ohanaeze And Is Collaborators Be Prepared To Kill Us

As early as 7: 30 a .m., the agitators marched through Bissala Road, Independence Layou, Enugu, to the Nza Street gate of government house. The men were draped in Biafra flags . Onwuka was adorned in Jewish attire. They chanted Biafra songs as they marched.

At the gate, however, armed police officers stopped the procession, which had asked to see Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi for a “ peaceful dialogue.” While an argument went on, truckloads of policemen arrived and began hurling the members into the vehicles. Many who resisted arrest were beaten and forced into the vans. Others who fled were pursued by the police and arrested.

It will be recalled that BZF had asked Biafra supporters to ignore IPOB ’s sit-at- home order and gather at the government house for the declaration and hoisting of the Biafra flag. Onwuka had addressed at least four separate press conferences within the month, claiming BZF had the backing of the United States of America and Israel, and stressing that previous observances of the restriction order achieved nothing.

The group’s Deputy Leader, Chief Ambrose Ugwu, confirmed the arrests, saying it was the will of God but would not deter BZF from “achieving Biafra”. “What happened today is how God wants it , because you cannot extricate yourself from your enemy without quarrelling with him. Our leader, Benjamin Onwuka, has done all he could to liberate our people from bondage. But what baffles me is that our people have continued to sabotage his efforts.”

“It is not Federal Government that ordered today’s arrest or invited the policemen, who rounded up our people at Enugu government house. Southeast governors and our political leaders invited them. They did it because they don’ t want Onwuka to be the one that will take the glory. But they are wasting their time, ” Ugwu said .

Ugwu alleged Onwuka and other BZF members were brutalised by the police and called for their immediate release , saying: “We shall not be held responsible for any breakdown of law and order should this advice be ignored . ”

Enugu State Commissioner of Police Dan Mallam Muhammed said the men were picked up for “ attempting to take over Enugu government house”. He said: “They threatened to take over government today, even when their activities have been proscribed. This morning, they marched to Enugu government house to make good their threat. We arrested 21 of them alongside their Biafra ornaments. We will charge them for treason because they want to take over government.” He added that Onwuka made “a forcible attempt to declare Biafra sometime ago using the facilities of a radio station… He did not have anybody’s authority to make such a demand. ”

On March 7, 2014 , Onwuka led BZF members in a plot to hoist Biafra flags at Enugu government house. On June 5, the same year, he stormed the Enugu State Broadcasting Service (ESBS ) in a failed bid to use the broadcast station to announce Biafra ’s independence. He had already seized the premises when security operatives swooped on him , arresting him and 10 others. He regained freedom only last year.